Wednesday, February 27, 2013

A Ski Tour

A fever has taken over Austria. It's spreading wildly over the country. Everyone has it. It makes people do the craziest things. And now I have it, too. No, it's not a new thing; I just got it late.






Maybe you have heard of it. Ski touring. Yup, skiing uphill on your downhill skis. They have hair on it.

I mean, I have done cross-country skiing like every proper Finn. In touring, the skis, bindings, and boots allow for free movement of the heel to enable a walking pace, similar to cross-country skiing. So I thought: "If you can crosscountry ski, you can do this". But still: this is skiing uphill with your heavy, wide downhill skis!

One time was all I needed to be brainwashed. One. Before I tried it on the last day of December 2012, I thought it's the weirdest thing.

They have that grip or "climbing skins", so that the ski will glide forward but not slide backwards.

So yes - after one time trying it, I was sold. I still wouldn't go far off-piste, but I have to admit it: it was so much fun! A great - an efficient - way to do outdoor sports. It's also more economic than downhill skiing - as soon as you have the gear, that is, because you work your way up.







The view is getting better and better the higher you go.




"Oh look, I forgot to shave!" :D

My first ski touring accomplished successfully!



Like in hiking, also in touring the aim is to reach the top of the mountain, where also a cross usually is. The custom is to say "Berg Heil!" and take a shot of Schnaps.

Sunset, as seen from the Berggasthof Falba Stuba in Laterns.


Until sunset we sat at the Gasthof, sipping some well-deserved Weizencola (wheat beer with Coke). Then it was time to ski down the hill, happy and red-cheeked.

No comments: