Easter came and went, now the Midsummer Night Fest is approaching in Scandinavia. Unfortunately it is unknown fiesta in Chile, here being winter at this time of the year. Long overdue are the pictures of our Easter holiday but I still hope they let in some sunshine to the cold European summer and warm you from inside up.
La Serena was our Easter holiday destination. It is a little beach city located about 470 km up north from Santiago. It is Chile's third oldest city founded in 1544. Being by the sea shore, La Serena is an important tourist town especially during the summer, when people go to visit its long beaches.
Although La Serena can be grey and cloudy, driving some minutes to the east the sky clears up and the colours of the dry climate are vivid and strong.
The church of Vicuña.
We took an adventurous tour by local bus (actually, several buses but luckily not the one on the picture) and went to visit the little villages of Vicuña and Elqui Valley, where the Chilean national drink is made. 



Valle Pisco Elqui is known for Chile's most famous liquor, Pisco. Pisco is distilled from grapes and has a taste reminding me of whisky. There is an ongoing battle between Chile and Peru: whose pisco is the original one? Chileans claim their pisco is the best - Peruvians argue their pisco is the most delicious. It's one of the favourite drinks of the young local people, especially guys, and they usually mix it with Coke.
Pisco Mistral is one of the producers of pisco.
Some images of the tiny village.
Salud! Pisco Sour is an aperitive cocktail which contains pisco, lemon or lime juice, egg whites, and syrup. Other flavours, like basil, apple, or mango can be mixed with pisco taking the sour edge of the lemon off. Pisco sour will be more delicious made by yourself but it is possible to buy in ready made bottles, as well. I still prefer wine, however.
6 comments:
Beautiful pictures, once again.
Pisco Sour sounds rather interesting! :D
Should I bring you a bottle? ;)
I also prefer wine, thanks! :)
But you haven't even tried yet... Come on, it's still a great summer cocktail! I'll bring you a bottle :D
Haha. Okay, I'm always ready for new adventures when it comes to food. (I almost forgot...)
So you just got me persuaded: bring a bottle. Let's have a party!!
Yey! One summer in a bottle coming right up!
Post a Comment