Tuesday, August 25, 2009

A Smug Llama and Other Curiosities

Next to studying and being a housewife there weren't much time for anything else. Now that I finished my two-week Spanish course I have more time during the days again. We try to see every week something new, and some little "chilenisms" (yes that's right, it's a word, I just created it) we managed to do. For example, the language school organises several activities during the week, and one Wednesday evening we tried salsa and merengue in Cuban style in a little club close to us. For Lukas it was the first and the last time here but I liked it a lot!

A Cuban salsa club Ile Habana.

On Friday night we met with Juan, our friend from Santiago whom I met already during his exchange semester in Dornbirn last year. We had tapas dinner in a Spanish restaurant and continued to Barrio Bellavista, an area of Santiago which is known for its vast cultural supply and great night life.

Lukas, Juan and I in a bar called Mito in Bellavista.

The drinks are not that much cheaper here than in Europe. What a disappointment, although we had fun anyway!

On Saturday we suffered from the consequences of the Friday night so we skipped the cultural activities for a calm dinner at Juan's house and explored the city more on Sunday.

The official seat of the President of Chile is in the Palacio de la Moneda.

Plaza de Armas, the main square in the centre was packed with people - as always.

Plaza de Armas on a Sunday afternoon.

Catedral de Santiago.

Admiring the great cathedral.

Before we reached our goal, the central market, we passed many, many tempting shoe shops.

Information especially for Niki: I haven't bought any pairs of shoes yet! Are you proud? Or surprised? ;)

Along the pedestrian street we came to the Mercado Central, a big market where you can buy vegetables, meat, fish, have lunch, drinks, you name it. There you should hold on to your bag, even though at times not even that helps. And the smell inside the market hall is a bit overwhelming thanks to the fresh (or not so fresh) meat... Your gagging reflexes will be tested when entering the building.

A part of Mercado Central's fruit and vegetable collection.

It's like he'd be laughing at us, that smug llama.

He wanted to make money on our (and the llama's) expense but we were faster at snapping the picture!

No comments: